Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Grace loves . . .

goulash, like any good Jones baby should. :)And she has now destroyed her first copy of Pat the Bunny . . . I was trying to nurse Grace to sleep for a nap today, but she had other ideas. After she finished nursing, she slid off my lap and crawled over to her toy basket. I went back to reading my book. When I looked down, there was Grace, laying at my feet. She wasn't playing with her toys . . . she'd grabbed a book, brought it over, and was flipping through the pages. Just. Like. Me. I watched her "read" on her own for a few minutes, then scooped her into my lap and we finished the book together. And it shouldn't have surprised me. I've read 1000 times that children who see their parents read are more likely to read themselves. I know that babies learn to do pretty much everything by copying what we do. But it surprised me anyway. Because when I think of Grace, I think of a little baby who can't possibly crawl, pick out a book, bring it back, and "read" it to be like her mommy. But I am wrong. It makes me want to throw out the TV. To be better. To be the perfect example. Because she's watching. And copying every move.

2 comments:

Megan said...

At least she has a GREAT example to follow!

Unknown said...

I can only imagine what Tom's teaching her...