Sunday, July 25, 2010

Birch Bay 2010 . . .

I don't think I can put into words how much I LOVE Birch Bay. Spending part of the week out there with Tom's family last week was FABULOUS. We spent all day at the beach and all night playing games, telling (ghost) stories and EATING.

I think camping is in your blood, or it isn't. You are either raised a camper, marry a camper or go camping just to be nice. I am NOT a camper, but Tom's mom and sisters do all of the camping "work" and I'm pretty much just along for the ride. I think it would be fun to raise two little campers . . . even though it is so much harder in many ways, the stripped down simplicity, free of distractions, is an AWESOME way to connect and make memories. I love hearing Tom's stories of camping out at the bay when he was a kid and LOVE making those same memories for Grace and Vince.

First day at the beach . . .
The tent on the beach was a new addition this year . . . it made a great changing room or holding pen for wild children. Hanging out after the traditional "first night pizza dinner" . . . Wouldn't be Birch Bay without some scary stories in the trailer . . . Grandma 'Leen tells the VIPER every year. Trying to get Grace settled the first night in the motorhome . . . affectionately called THE BEAV. She kept thinking we were going to leave and didn't believe me that we were REALLY spending the night. Not much different than home . . . we all slept together. Two sweet girls waiting for breakfast . . . And it was my birthday!

I’m not gonna lie, I was a bit sad. Not because I am 29, but because it’s so sad how fast a year has gone by. Crazy fast. I heard that time goes by a bit faster every year as you age and now I can truly say that I agree. I’m officially old . . . scratch that . . . mature. Back to the beach . . . Auntie Karen and Grace went for a long beach walk . . . The "set-up" . . . Look who came! Jake and Max (and their sweet Mama) brought me flowers and a GIANT cupcake for my birthday.

That's my girl . . . eating her trail mix with a shovel.
Vince slept his days at the beach away . . . Back at camp . . . all cleaned up and SHOWERED. Auntie Katie brought crafts . . .
Tom brought flowers and an ice cream cake for my birthday. A bean can for a vase . . . CLASSY. No nap at the beach . . . Grace fell asleep before dinner. Who/which body part is tanner? Taryn's chest or Tom's arm? YAY!
Wouldn't be BIRCH BAY without a game of Darebase . . . Can you see it coming? Right after this picture, Tom JUKED when he should have JIVED and the big guy went down HARD. This is Tom's "I got a grass stain on my white shoes" face . . .
Eating treats in the Beav before bed . . . Thursday morning was cold and windy so we played in Auntie Katie's AWESOME trailer . . . don't tell Uncle Dylan we ate chips and candy in it. We ended up going swimming in the pool at Jacob's Landing thanks to Tom and Mary Lou. That turned a trailer full of whiny, driving-their-mom's-nuts kids into happy, tired kids. After a little swimming and an EPIC fit, Grace, Vince and I rode off into the sunset. Everyone else stayed one more night. Back at home Friday morning . . . Grace wanted to go check out the corn across the road. How did I get so lucky?

And our usual Friday fun . . . Jake and Max came over!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember those camping days as a kid at the bay so well... I guess I fall in the "raised a camper" category. I guess that means we better take the boys!

What a fabulous time, and you got to share it with TWO this year. Woo-hooo!