If you are still hanging on with me and listening to my ramblings . . . thankyou. I promise I won't blog about this trip forever. But here goes day 6 . . .
- We left Tom at the hotel and Megan and I headed out for our final day of classes. Tom insisted that he was going to get on the subway and go to Wall Street. Wall Street? Yes, Wall Street. I asked him many times why he wanted to go there and even he really couldn't explain it . . . he just wanted to go there and be "where all the magic happened." I tried to explain to him that the subway was tricky and Wall Street was at the opposite end of Manhattan from where we were . . . but he insisted that he could do it.
- It was a shortened day, so we ate lunch during class and got out at 2:00 instead of 4:00.
- I kept calling Tom during my breaks to check in on him . . . the first time I talked to him, he recounted his first experience with the subway. "I walked down there, looked around, said "Holy sh**" and walked back up to the hotel. I was laughing my butt off.
- I called Tom again a few hours later and he answered the phone, "I'M ON WALL STREET!" Seriously, I could not have been happier for him. He said he went back up to the hotel room, studied the subway map, went to Starbucks and got a coffee, studied the subway map some more, finally said, "Screw it" and went down the stairs to the subway.
- And that is the story of my husband's first subway experience. When we were talking about this later, in between my fits of giggling, Tom turned to me, shook his head and said "This is going on your blog , isn't it?" "Not if you don't want it to" I promised. And now I am very glad that my husband is not a prideful man.
- We met Tom back at the hotel a little after 2:00 and were off and running. We had a list of things we were saving to do until Tom got there and decided to start at the very bottom of Manhattan and head back up.
- Our first stop was the Staten Island Ferry (which is free) and goes right by the Statue of Liberty. Everyone we talked to recommended this over taking a private boat and actually going to the Statue of Liberty.
After the ferry ride, we went to Ground Zero. It's really hard to describe how it felt to be there . . . even 6 years later and with all the construction that is going on, there were a ton of people and it gave you the chills to be there.
- On our way back uptown, we stopped and ate at a bar in the Meatpacking District. Only after talking to my cousin Alison, did we realize that this was a really swanky part of Manhattan . . . think Sex and the City. We were cool and we didn't even know it. Forgot to take any pictures at dinner. :(
- A guy on the street had talked Megan and I into buying tickets to a comedy club the night before, so after dinner we headed to The Broadway Comedy Club. You know in Seinfeld . . . the opening scene where Jerry is always doing stand-up . . . apparently that was filmed at this comedy club. It was really funny . . . but not as funny as the one we went to in Vegas!
Of course on our walk back, we had to take some pictures . . .
We walked through Central Park on our way home . . . not quite the same as when Megan and I were there when it was light, but Tom wanted to say he had been there.Tom studied just about every map we saw . . . and there were a lot of them. I think he was trying to channel my Dad.
We got back to the hotel around 12:30 and we started to pack up our things as we were leaving the next morning.
See you tomorrow for Day 7 . . . on the train!
1 comment:
I am loving the blog of this trip. :) I check it at least 3 times a day. Dan and I were checking it tonight right before bed and we couldn't stop chuckling. Keep posting!
Love you both.
Heidi
Post a Comment