Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Elk Hunting 2011 . . .

Tom went hunting with his Dad and brother-in-law Russ at the end of October.

Here is their set-up . . . and of course some of the great BAKING they always do.
All us girls were staying at Birch Bay and Saturday morning, Angie came around the corner with her cell phone and yelled, "Tom got an ELK!" Russ called with the news and I didn't get to talk to Tom for a quite awhile because he was elbow deep in blood he said. Honestly I couldn't believe he got one, and even though I didn't want to be excited, it was hard not to be, knowing how excited Tom was.

Tom's FIRST elk!
As weird as it sounds, it is amazing to me that Tom knows how to skin and gut an animal. The work didn't stop once they got home . . . they had to hang it back up until they could take it to the butcher the next day.
The kids kept busy while the guys were arguing and grunting about who had the best idea how to do it. :)
All of a sudden I looked in the shop and saw Tom up in the bucket of the tractor . . .
The kids loved it . . .
Although I wouldn't call this picture "cute" by any means, I am glad to have it.
Back to playing . . .
On Sunday the kids were back to look at it one more time before it went to the butcher. Kind of funny that they are all in their church clothes touching a dead elk!
And Uncle Russy pulled out some more treasures he had in the shop for the kids to look at . . .
Only Teddy!
Ready to head home . . .
Tom decided to get the elk "european mounted". Russ is going to help him get it mounted onto a wood plaque. It is yet to be decided where its final resting place will be!
EVERY YEAR I get a little fussy when Tom goes hunting and I'm sure this year was probably worse than others since he is gone during the week working now. Ten days is a long time and we miss him A LOT. Tom was almost ready to give up the ghost this year and I am SO GLAD he didn't. You never know what the next year will bring and these are some pretty awesome and special times he gets to spend with his Dad and Russ.

No comments: