The back to school buzz is in the air, and even though no one in this household is attending or teaching school this year, I am not silly enough to think those years won't be here SOON enough. Time for a little reflecting . . .
Grace: July 2010 and July 2011
Grace has been visiting the dentist quite often lately (read: she has 4 cavities and we have to go in separate times for each filling) and so we have had some alone time together while Vince stays with Auntie Jen Jen. The time together, just the two of us (which has NEVER happened until now) made me realize--as much as I always love to be with my kids, it's shifting from less of a responsibility of taking her with me into more of an experience of complete pleasure. She (sometimes) buckles her own car seat, she tells me funny stories in the car, she helps me find oranges with thick skins and no soft spots, and she walks next to me--confidently yet ever-so-gently holding the edge of my shirt while I push our cart. (We usually stop at the store for an after-dentist treat and a some quick grocery shopping while we don't have Vince with us). Her presence has flourished from daughter who makes me happy to little friend who makes me laugh. Who keeps me company.Vince: Labor Day weekend 2010 and June 2011
And this guy . . . is funny. He gets it . . . the kind of subtle things that make us laugh, and he does them all the time and shoots us glances to see if they worked. He thinks it's very funny when people say "ow." Like if you hit your head or trip on a toy, and you jump around wincing and moaning. He whips his head around and laughs, heartily. My sweet, empathic child.
And this guy . . . is funny. He gets it . . . the kind of subtle things that make us laugh, and he does them all the time and shoots us glances to see if they worked. He thinks it's very funny when people say "ow." Like if you hit your head or trip on a toy, and you jump around wincing and moaning. He whips his head around and laughs, heartily. My sweet, empathic child.
I know in my heart that I am right where I should be . . . kissing knees and making cookies, cleaning up other people's junk all day long (HA!) . . . what a gift and a challenge all wrapped into one. I am so thankful for the "job" I have.
No comments:
Post a Comment