Thursday, June 10, 2010

Vince's first week . . .

This is going to be long and wordy, but I want to remember all we did Vince's first week.

Vince was born Wednesday at 6:18 p.m. and we were hoping to be out of the hospital sometime on Thursday . . .

Vince slept on me that first night and I swear my heart grew three sizes. It's not that I doubted that I would love our second child . . . I loved Vince tremendously as he grew in my belly. It is just that I didn't know exactly how it would work once he was born. My love for Grace was/is overwhelming . . . could my heart handle that times two? Of course the answer is "yes." As I told Tom the other day, the minute Vince was born, my heart grew. I immediately felt that maternal "I will do anything, and I mean anything for you" feeling. Our capacity for love is astounding, and the love felt for your children is nothing less than breathtaking.

I took these pictures early Thursday morning . . .
We had some visitors . . .
Rockell came, then Tyler and Tanya, Katie and Barb. I think this was Vince's FIRST poopy diaper . . . If you know Tom, you know he likes to be BUSY and not cooped up anywhere or he gets SILLY . . . we weren't even in the hospital 24 hours, but Tom still managed to go a little stir-crazy and we ended up with about 20 or so pictures like this. We were ready to leave around 5:00 p.m. I couldn't wait to get to my Gracie girl.
Tom said that when Grace was born, life felt complete with the three of us in the hospital. This time, we loved the time alone with Vince in the hospital, but something was definitely missing and we were happy to have Grace home with us. That being said . . . when we finally got home and got everything packed in . . . the Gracester was having a TIME, I tell you. So much so that I looked at Tom and asked if we could bring her back to my Mom and Dad's for another night. :)

Grace holding Vince at home for the first time . . .
I have to admit, that although I couldn't have been happier to have Vince in our family, I shed some tears that first night after snuggling Grace to sleep, knowing how much her life was going to change, knowing I would never be able to give her the kind of attention that I've given her for the past two years and knowing Vince will never have that kind of attention from us. I know it is the best thing for our family, but I still knew it was going to be a big adjustment for all of us.

By the next morning, Grace was already 100 times better, but I still called my Mom and she came and picked Grace up for some special "Nama" time. They picked up Nampa and went to McDonald's for lunch, went grocery shopping and visited the bank peeps.

Grace getting some loving in with Vince before Nama picked her up . . .
I thought she might be a little sad to leave, but she was waiting at the door for Nama and walked out saying, "Bye Mommy, love you!"
We went to Mom's for dinner that night.

Saturday, Tom and Grace went and did pig stuff in the morning and the visiting nurse came in the afternoon to check on Vince. He weighed 8 pounds, 4 ounces and she noticed that he had jaundice. Katie and the kids came to visit in the morning and Tom's Mom came in the afternoon.

Tyler and Tanya got Vince a REAL fishing pole, so Tom decided that Grace needed one too . . . her very own RED fishing pole.
We went out to the Birch Bay Villa that night for LOBSTER MANIA.

Welcome to your life as a DeHoog/Jones Vince . . . partying already at 3 days old. I didn't come prepared for swimming, but luckily Jen let us use a swim diaper . . . This is Tom re-enacting his face when he saw that it was a BOY in the delivery room! It's not a par-tay, unless you have some music and DANCE . . . They were hopping around so fast, I only managed to catch these two . . . Sunday morning we took Grace to Tom's Mom's to go to church with them, and we took Vince into the doctor to make sure that his jaundice was under control. They took a blood test and it was only at 11.7 (it can go up to 20 . . . Grace's got up to 17 at one point.) He weighed 8 pounds, 6 ounces. We made a quick stop at Target and then went to Grandma DeHoog's for lunch. We went to Russ and Angie's for dinner that night.

Four generations of DeHoog men . . . Tom is the only DEHOOG grandson, so he felt the pressure to carry on the family name. Good luck Vince, the pressure is now on you someday, buddy!
A little photoshoot Sunday afternoon with Vince's first tractor . . . After a nap, I made my first solo trip with both kids to Grandma Larson's . . . I know, I know, it's only a few miles down the road . . . but we survived. I didn't drop Vince or lose Grace, let Vince's little head roll backward, or let any strangers walk off with either one of them. It was a success by all means.

Monday was Memorial Day . . . we ended up skipping the cemetery because it was cold and rainy and went to the Judy's for some goodies and then to Tom's family picnic . . . usually it is outside at the Sumas Park, but had to be inside the church gym because of the weather.

Grace and Jack playing . . . I LOVE these next two pictures . . . Vince at his first family PICNIC . . . Grandma 'Leen knows how to make anything fun . . . the kids LOVED writing on the whiteboard. Tuesday was our first day at home alone . . .

Grace doesn't share her pigs with anyone, but I watched her carefully climb up on the bed and leave her buddies with her brother. Tuesday night we went to Dairy Queen with the Larson gang . . . another solo adventure, but my Mom was in charge of Grace while we were there and ended up taking her home and Vince and I went to Safeway and then picked up Grace on our way home.

Wednesday we went to Grandma and Grandpa Larson's for coffee. Relaxing at home . . . 1 week old. Vince is a mellow, sweet, calm baby . . . his perfect spirit has turned our world upside down and we wouldn't have it any other way.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This was blogging in it's most finest form. Once I saw "long and wordy" I walked away, made a coffee, then came back to just read slow and relive that first week. Precious!!!!

Abbie Ball said...

And you thought you couldn't handle two kids...your a pro!! Super Mommy! I loved meeting Vince in person...he is so sweet! Can't wait for more visits!

Heidi Young said...

Loved this post. Keep the pics of that sweet baby coming!

BTW, Grace's right arm looks really big in the picture of her holding Vince for the first time. You should get that looked at. ;)