Thursday, October 1, 2009

when did my baby grow up?

When babies get close to the 18-month mark, I feel like their adorable factor begins to multiply. Their personalities really start to shine, they communicate more and more, they laugh and giggle and play games, develop shoe fetishes (wait, is that just mine?), and overall are just plain fun.

But, as I learned in Econ 101, there is no such thing as a free lunch. At this age, the whining also really kicks in. And the tantrums. Oh, the tantrums. Let me just say that while Grace is one of the more adorable children I've ever come across (of course), recently I've also seen a side of her that is a bit frightening. I didn't think I would ever use this term to describe MY child, but I think I might have to throw it out there.

Diva.

We went to Safeway yesterday to do some BIG grocery shopping. BIG like I planned out all our meals for the month and was buying every single ingredient. Grace was not impressed. She would not sit in the cart, so we went between standing in the cart to holding my hand and walking about 14 thousand times. At one point she squirmed out of my grasp and ran down the freezer aisle in hysterics, throwing herself to the ground as innocent people trying to enjoy their shopping looked on in horror. Yes, all of a sudden I had that child.

Everything eventually worked itself out. But I didn't even get a chance to tell you about the playground incident the other day (I was meeting with a teacher from the other elementary school so we went and played on the playground for a little while afterwards). Since it was after school there were some other little kids playing there . . . anyway, she took some poor little girl's doll stroller, picked it up, and threw it to the ground in anger.

Heaven help me.

Here's the little diva after a nap on the way home from Safeway . . .

She loves to point out the pumpkins and kitties on her pajamas. When she's not acting like a diva, she does the most adorable things. Tonight I told her to go tell Daddy dinner was ready, and she DID! She went right to Tom and said, "Daddy dinner". She folds her hands when we pray and says amen at the end (we're working on the Lord Bless prayer). She's saying 4 or 5 new words every day-- today it was stuck, bonk, sorry, BOO (she gets it and tries to scare us) and trick or treat.

Oh, this little peanut keeps us on our toes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always use the bakery at Safeway, they give kids a free cookie. We hit it at the end and Brock loves it!! It works to hold him over and we've all been there with the lovely tantrums! Happy Shopping! Tasha

Unknown said...

I had to stop reading at "on the floor of Safeway." Blagh!!! I need to talk to that Gracie girl about balkie feet tracking germs and grossness. Does that count as a shoe fettish?

The Spaids said...

Oh I remember that phase with Maggie. she would get really angry at whatever, and make little fists and stand in place and shriek like a banshee. It took three weeks of discipline to get her out of that phase, but it worked. And I second the comment by Tanya. TOUCHING THE GROCERY STORE FLOOR?!?!? ACK!!!! I know it's impossible to keep them off it, and at 3 1/2 Maggie still doesn't remember we DO NOT TOUCH the grocery store floor - or pick up the stickers we dropped - or our straw for the juice box - or food...

Abbie Ball said...

It's moments like the "Safeway event" that keeps us humble. Now when you see "that" child screeming in a store you will have a special bond with their parent!

Megan said...

We had THOSE kids the other day as well, fun times. I love, love, love her Diva picture, she is such a big girl now! Enjoy the meltdowns now because they are way cuter than the 3-year-old ones, that's when they have a LOT of words and a LOT of sass going on!