Monday, October 6, 2008

4 months old . . .

Dear Grace,

My heart feels as though it could explode . . . in the best possible way . . . from overflowing love and wonder. I didn't think it was possible to love you any more than I did when I held you for the first time, but I do. Sometimes as I stare at you, the tears flow freely . . . you are so perfect, I just can't believe you are mine. I have never deserved such a gift. I expected to love you Grace, I knew I would love you, but I had no idea it would be a love so incredibly fierce and enormously tender at the same time.

You have changed so much in the last month Grace, and while I love seeing all the new things you are doing, I can't help but miss the tiny little babe you were only a few months ago. You are talking and laughing and kicking and scooting and wiggling more than I ever could have imagined. Your laugh is the sweetest sound . . . it brings joy to my soul.

A few of this month's stats:

Weight: 15 pounds, 11 1/2 ounces (90th percentile)
Length: 25 1/2 inches (90th percentile)

Your sleep habits: We are definitely getting into more of a routine with sleeping . . . you have started to go to sleep around 8:30 or 9:00 and you stay asleep until about midnight, I feed you and lay you back down in the pack and play by our bed. You usually wake up again around 2:00 or 3:00 and I feed you and you come into bed with us. In the morning, you and Daddy stay in bed and snuggle while I get in the shower and start getting ready for school. You usually take a morning, afternoon and early evening nap which can last anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours . . . just depends on what you feel like. :)

Your eating habits: You can go for about 4 hours in between feedings during the day now, but that doesn't mean you always do. Sometimes you want more, sometimes less. Dr. Filuk gave the okay at your 4 month appointment to start rice cereal and vegetables . . . but I'm not quite ready to start all that yet. Maybe next month.

Your favorite things: You are interacting more and more with your toys . . . sometimes I forget to put you down and let you play with something other than me though. :)

Your least favorite things: Not a whole lot these days . . . you are pretty mellow and will tolerate most things for at least a little while. Sometimes it freaks you out when I wash your face in the bathtub or when I put your shirt over your head . . . you gulp for air and blink about a million times. If you get overtired, you get fussy and you like us to walk around with you. When that happens you don't even let us think about sitting . . . seriously.

Other random info: You drool, drool, drool . . . Dr. Filuk said you are definitely working on some teeth . . . but they could show up next week or in 3 months. You are fascinated with your hands and most times they are the object of most of your drool. You have started to make "raspberry" noises and lots of "ah-goo"s and "hi-yeee"s. You hold onto lots of things these days . . . if you fall asleep in your car seat, you usually are hanging onto the toy that is attached. You like to hold onto blankets too. When you are on your tummy, you raise your chest up and support yourself with your arms. You have moved into size 3 diapers and are wearing mostly 6-12 month clothes. You have the most delicous squeal and belly laugh. I love the big smiles you are giving . . . it is so amazing to see you light up when your Dad or I get within eyesight.

Things to remember about this month . . . you had your 3 month pictures taken, we went to a volleyball game, you went to math meetings at school with me on an early release day, we spent a week without Dad while he worked in Seattle, we went to Cousin Maria's wedding and Grandma DeHoog's 80th birthday party, we celebrated Cousin Jake's 2nd birthday with a pirate party and you got 2 shots at your 4 month check-up.

Becoming a mama to you Grace, has helped connect me closer to God. When I've poured out every drop of energy, sleep, breast milk, love and attention that I possess for you, I get a sense of how much God gives us, though we do absolutely nothing for Him. Loving you has helped me to comprehend how DEEPLY God loves us.

When I was making your baptism invitations, I included this verse:

"I have no greater joy than to hear my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4

We are so excited to publicly commit to raising you to "walk in the truth" on Sunday.

Happy four months, baby girl.

xoxo,
Mom



No comments: