Friday, August 15, 2008

ch-ch-ch chaaaaaanges . . .

so . . . we're getting ready for some big changes around these parts. I go back to school next week. I love my job, I do--I work with good people and I believe in what I do. But I cannot begin to imagine leaving my Gracie girl. She's been my constant companion for the past 11 weeks. She goes where I go. She's attached to my left shoulder most of the time, and I have the drool marks and wickedly awesome one-sided upper body strength to prove it. My daily conversations consist of coos and babbles and cries and I adore them. I can't even bear her sleeping in a different room yet. I guess you could say I'm sort of attached to this kiddo.

I've talked to my principal about a hundred times this week, and as of last night, we have a plan. I've been back and forth and weighed so many different scenarios out . . . I'm glad to finally know what my schedule will be. I'll be working all day Monday and then Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday mornings. When I first started thinking this whole part-time think out, going every day would have been my LAST choice, but the more I thought about it, talked about it and yes, even made lists about it, there are a lot of benefits to this. Most importantly, for Grace. I'll have to be away from her only for short periods (from 8-noon each day, except for Mondays) and I won't have to pump at school . . . hallelujah! I'm excited because I will only teach literacy, which is what I am most passionate about, and the other teacher will do math and science. To only have to plan for reading and writing will be cake, especially since this will be my fourth year teaching 1st grade. I'm sure by the end of the year, getting ready and going, going, going, every morning will get old and I am going to miss having laaaaaazy days with nothing to do but play, but I think this is the best option for right now. Sooooo . . . next week I have meetings all day Monday and Wednesday (my Mom and Tom's mom will have Grace those days), I'll get my classroom ready on the other days (Grace will be with me) and then the official "school" schedule starts the next week. My Mom, Tom's Mom and my Grandma will be watching Grace . . . she will get more lovin' than I can possibly imagine . . . but that doesn't change how much I'm going to lose it each time I walk out the door in the morning and leave her behind. Of this I am certain.

We're heading out to Birch Bay this afternoon . . . spending the weekend at Sheila's place, the "villa" as we like to call it . . . fleeing the coop one last time before the reality sets in that school stuff starts next week.

Here are a few FAIR pictures . . . we spent all day Tuesday there with Jen, Jake, Angie, Maddie, Teddy, Barb, Allie, Aubree and Eileen and then just Tom, Grace and I went back last night. You were great . . . fair oh eight! MaryLou's prize winning bouquetI LOVE the grange displaysRuss keeping the streets of the fair safe on a VESPA . . . how cool is that!?!?!?!The kiddos watching a showDan and Lucky Joe (his trick horse) put on a show . . . their family was on Wife Swap . . . too weird . . . on the show he was really anal about how clean his horse was.
Tom and John . . . I think this might be the only picture I have of Tom with his "boot". Tom and John worked a shift at for the Antique Tractor Club on Tuesday night. Tom and Gracie by the LAWNSCAPING display Right after this we had to take her behind one of the barns and change a blow out . . . luckily Tom's shirt survived with only a minor stain. :)That's about all for now . . . gotta go pack for the BAY!

5 comments:

MistyAnn said...

I am so excited for you! It is so hard to go back to work full time when you have been with your baby every minute for the last 11 weeks.

The fair looked fun! We will be going Saturday morning.

Anonymous said...

Where is Tom's boot and crutches in the Fair pictures?

MIL

Megan said...

How fabulous that Grace gets to have grandmas watch her. My kids have that too and makes leaving much easier. And you'll so look forward to coming home to see your precious girl...absence really makes the heart grow fonder when it comes to your kids. Good luck with the school year!

Dana Lohrer said...

I don't think it will ever be easy leaving your precious baby girl, but thankfullly you have willing love ones who will do an exceptional job with her! I am so happy you were able to work out a schedule that works for you! That is awesome! The pics are so darn cute as well! I miss the fair!

Tanya said...

I remember going back to work after having Brenna. Yes, it will be tough but you will get through it!! The 1st week was the worst but it got easier and I realized that my mom really enjoyed spending time with Brenna. Gracie is going to get so much love from all her grandmas. It will be great bonding time for all of them. God has given you the great gift of being a teacher...go teach those 1st graders every morning and cherish the moments you get to just sit with Gracie in the afternoons. We will be praying for you during this time of transition!! - Tanya