Sunday, July 6, 2008

Grace Addison @ 1 month . . .

So I know I am a week behind in posting this as Grace is now 5 weeks old, but I tricked Blogger into dating this her actual one month birthday . . . what a sneaky Mom I am already. I am hoping to do this every month and include a picture I have taken of her. I am going to take her picture in the same spot on the couch every month, in just a onesie.

Dear Grace,
My sweet girl, are you really already one month old? Time, please, please slow down. Your Dad and I were talking last night about how we are so excited for the next few months as you become more interactive, smiling and cooing at us . . . yet there is definitely a part of me that wants to hold onto these sweet newborn days of you curling up on my chest, perfectly content to be held for hours by your mom. I can feel tears in my eyes just thinking about you being any bigger than you are right this moment.

A few of this month's stats:

Weight: (as of 7/8) 9 pounds, 13 ounces

Your sleep habits: I feed you for the last time around 11:00 p.m. and then you sleep until 3:00 or 3:30, then it's up again around 5:00 or 5:30. I try to be tough and make you sleep in either your swing or in the pack and play, propped in the boppy for most of the night. If you aren't in either of those places, you are on top of my chest. After the 5:00 a.m. feeding you come into bed with us and snuggle. Sometimes you go back to sleep, sometimes you don't! In the hot weather, you sleep a lot during the day and we fight to keep you awake in the evening so you will sleep better during the night, but usually you win! Your only real fussy time can be in the evening if we try to keep you awake when you don't want to be. You were starting to be awake more during the day, but during the hot weather, you just sleep and sleep and sleep.

Your eating habits: You usually eat every two to two and a half hours during the day and you have been an awesome nurser right from the start. I was a little nervous about this because Dr. Mora said you might not have the sucking thing down since you were 3 weeks early, but you knew what to do right from the start. Sometimes you even snort and smack . . . it is pretty cute.

Your favorite things: Nursing, sleeping, being held, being kissed and talked to, sitting in the swing, sleeping with mom or dad, and going on walks.

Your least favorite things: Taking baths (although you are tolerating it much better these days), when I try to make you take a pacifier, not getting to eat right away when you are hungry and being too hot.

Other random info: You had jaundice when you were first born and you had to have lots of pricks on your foot so they could test your blood. You have had a pretty bad diaper rash, you seem to be stuffed up early in the morning and now you have a rash on your face. I took you to the doctor last week and Dr. Filuk said it was heat rash. I have only left you once so far . . . on June 25th you stayed home with Dad while I ran to the store. When I had to go to the doctor last week, Grandma Jones sat in the car with you while I went in. You just grew out of newborn diapers, although I think I had you in them probably a week too long while I was trying to finish up the package. You went to a wedding reception, a BBQ, 3 baby showers, two 4th of July parties, a few trips to Bellingham and lots of trips to Grandma's . . . we've been busy!

Some of the little things about having you that I have fallen in love with this past month . . . the way your sweet blue eyes stare into mine . . . there really is nothing like the adoring way babies look at their mamas! Your perfectly wonderful new baby smell. Cuddling with you. When I was pregnant with you, I prayed that you would love to cuddle and I am so thankful that you do. I think that you would be perfectly content to be in my arms all day long. The super cute way that you snort when you are trying to latch on when I feed you. The sweet sound of you starting to coo . . . you just started doing this the other day and it is such a lovely sound. And a million other wonderful things . . .

It has only been one month, but Grace it feels like you have a part of our family forever. I love you to the moon and back Grace Addison.

Love,
Mom

4 comments:

Dana Lohrer said...

Tissue, please! Oh, Amanda I am so excited that you are enjoying every detail of being a mother. It sounds like Grace is doing great in everything. I so can't wait to meet her when we come up in August. We look foward to seeing her change each month in your picture updates. Words just can't express how precious babies are to their mothers, huh? That is just a little glimpse of how precious we are to God! Pretty amazing stuff! Love you guys so much and thank you for allowing us to be a little part of your amazing journey through life!

MistyAnn said...

I am at working trying not to cry! I am so excited for you and your new little baby. She is so lucky to have such great parents!!

Anonymous said...

Makes me totally miss Cooper's newborn days. Though each day and week and month brings new joys - babies are truly a blessing! So fun! I can't wait to meet her, so sorry we missed you with Tasha! I'd love to stop by sometime!

Unknown said...

Snorts? The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, huh?!? :-) That's why I love her so much! Truly, a very touching blog entry. Thanks for the peak into Grace's days.