I was scheduled to be induced on Wednesday, August 1st at 39 weeks because I had gestational diabetes and had been checking my blood sugar levels and giving myself insulin four times a day for the last eight weeks. Concerns about the baby being too big and also being hypoglycemic were the reasons for the induction.
We dropped Grace and Vince off at my Mom and Dad's early Wednesday morning and were at the hospital by 7:30. I can't say I was feeling nervous yet, just READY. They were going to start me on an insulin drip as soon as I got there, but since they had instructed me not to eat anything my levels were LOW and I didn't need any yet. They started the pitocin and we waited. We watched a lot of Olympics and waited some more. Dr. Mora broke my water at about 12:30 and that got things going and when he checked me, I was dilated to 5 cm. I had reservations about getting an epidural since we got to the hospital too late to have one with Vince and I never felt like I got numb when I had one with Grace, so I hemmed and hawed and by the time I finally decided I wanted one, the anesthesiologist was with another patient. So I got to 9 cm by the time she got there, but it was WORTH THE WAIT! She had looked over my chart thoroughly and knew I was hard to numb. After the epidural I took about a 15 minute nap and then it was go time . . . 2 practice pushes and a LAUGH later and our sweet baby boy was here! I don't even think I really heard Tom say, "It's a boy" because I was in utter shock that the actual delivery was so EASY.
Now we had to decide on HIS name . . . I wanted Bo, Tom wanted Oliver. I guess we all know who won! Actually, we still couldn't decide when they were cleaning him up so I told Tom to call Grace and ask her. She said Bo sounded like a girls name, so Oliver it was!


8 pounds, 15.9 ounces . . . the nurses decided to round to 9 pounds!

Tom holding him for the first time . . .
Grandma 'Leen was our first visitor . . .
And a couple hours later . . . the BIGS came!
I brought them pajamas to open up and take back to Grandma and Grandpa's to wear that night . . . they could have cared less about them!




Our family!
Later that night . . .
Tom's treat whenever we are in the hospital is to go to Haggen's and get California Rolls . . .
Thursday morning . . . don't worry, it's just an act . . . Tom slept SOUNDLY all night long!
Grandma Jessie and Grandpa Ted came to visit . . .
Finally had a shower and it felt so good! The night before we went to the hospital, a nurse called and asked a bunch of questions to get us pre-registered. When she asked if I had any questions, I felt really silly, but the only thing I wanted to know is if they had blowdryers in the rooms. She laughed and put me on hold and went and checked and told me she checked three rooms and they all had blowdryers. Turns out the labor and delivery rooms have blowdryers, not the recovery rooms . . . I guess if that is my biggest complaint about the whole experience, I am one lucky lady!
This is after Tom found out we were going to have to stay a full 24 hours! With Vince they let us leave early, but this time around we had to stay until Oliver was a full 24 hours old so he could get his shots.


Calming Oliver down after the nurse poked at him . . .
So excited and ready to go home! HA! Tom was good for LOTS of laughs . . . if you want some good entertainment, trap Tom in a small room and see how crazy he gets!


Even on the third baby it's all still such a miracle . . . pregnancy, childbirth, seeing a brand new, perfect little body. Each of Oliver's beautiful tiny features and the fact that you can fall in love instantly and unconditionally is simply amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment