Tuesday, December 14, 2010

i was getting worried.

I was getting worried that we were this far into December and we hadn't been doing enough "Christmas-y" things yet. And then at the end of last week . . . everything started falling into place. We met the sweet December baby we'd been waiting for, we looked at Christmas lights and did some shopping, baked cookies, went to our first official CHRISTMAS party of the season, and got our tree . . . all I can say is . . . BRING IT ON.

My sister just birthed this breath of heaven, and I had the privilege of holding him and kissing his sweet cheeks last Thursday. And I am reminded just how amazing brand new babies are. This is sweet baby Sy. After the hospital I made Tom go to K-Mart to get CHEAP pop and he plopped Vince in the shopping cart like he'd been doing it all his life. He had no idea that was his FIRST time sitting like a big boy in the cart . . . hence the picture.
We went through the James Street lights and picked our favorites and sang Jingle Bells about four thousand times.
Tom mans a mean Spritz gun.
Lucky for Grace, Tom was too busy Spritzing and I was too busy taking pictures to notice just how many sprinkles she was using. Care for a cookie with your sprinkles?We got our tree on Saturday . . . after about a four year hiatus from actually cutting down our own tree (Lowe's has a real nice selection, you know) we decided we better get back out there for the experience of it all.

Grace found the perfect one right away!Tom is yelling, "Chase me Grace, let's get lost in the trees!"A little hide and seek . . . And then it started raining, so it was time to get down to business. I'm more of a Noble Fir (NOT bushy) kind of gal, but the twenty dollar price tag on this one, made her PERFECT. This is what we did while poor Tom used a really dull saw to cut her down . . .
Grace took one of the branches Tom cut off and claimed it as HER Christmas tree.My favorite picture of the day. Grace looked back at me and said, "Mom, I'm dragging my tree just like Daddy!"I guess if he can drag a 400 pound elk out of the woods, he can drag a tree and a 2 year old. On Saturday, Grace finally got to meet baby Sy (she calls him SIDE).
Big brother Jake!
It's amazing what a difference six months makes . . . she was not this interested in Vince when he was so tiny. I'll say what you are thinking . . . Vince looks like a GIANT, he's ENORMOUS, is Vince really a toddler already? Don't roll over Vinnie!!!!" (Last one credited to Uncle Tom)And finally . . . a holiday PARTY!

The cousins played that night like it was going out of style.
It feels SO GOOD to hold a brand new baby, doesn't it Zoop?I didn't see any of these shenanigans first hand . . . Alison was the one brave enough to head back to the bedroom and bear witness to the wildness.
Nice move, Mr. Lautenbach!
Look at that hair!
Go Alyxis!
Calming down a TAD bit . . .
And the last holiday fun of the weekend . . . decorating the tree.

Tom and Grace putting the star on . . .
You have no idea how crazy in love these two are with each other. They are two peas in a pod.
It's his FIRST Christmas, and it's going to be special.My heart is happy. Busy and overwhelmed at times. Frustrated and a bit sad once in a great while. But, most of the time . . . it clocks out content. And for that, I am grateful.

Last year, I dreamed of this.And this year . . . I have this. I have this.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Love the picture of Vince and Sy! And to think in 10 years their age gap won't mean a thing. And Grace wrapped up in lights is too funny!