Sunday, August 12, 2007

Disconnected . . . and it feels so good

Wow. What a crazy month it's been so far. We've been on three mini-vacations in the last couple of weeks, so I haven't been constantly "connected" like I'm used to. No blogs or myspace to check or email to keep up with . . . ahhh . . . heaven. It all seems like a dream. One whose details are going to fade quickly . . . I've thought a lot about things, made new goals, made new plans, gotten new perspectives. I feel refreshed and energized and ready to start ROCKING my life. :) I was almost afraid to turn on the computer this afternoon, afraid I'd get sucked back into whatever I found to be so important on this screen before I left.

A quick recap of the past few weeks . . . first we went to Penticton with the Jones clan for 4 days . . . there were about 40 of us that took over the hotel . . . we only got reprimanded a few times for being too loud.
Taking a nap with JakeBryan, Anne and EmilyAlison taught us a new game . . . Flip Cup. Can you guess what's in the cups? :)Alison, Stephanie and Tom . . . cheers!Tom and Becky ready to down a boot full of whiskeyLaura, Alison, Stephanie and Tom @ StarbucksJen, Dean, Jake, Me, Anne, Emily and Bryan in the poolSteph and Julie in the lakeThe beach . . . seriously, RIGHT across the road from our hotel. Eating some fabulous ice creamMIL and SIL (Mother-in-law and Son-in-law)We started a family DANCE PARTY!Bryan playing a favorite "No Birds in the Sky" . . . a song where everyone sings the chorus together and then people make up verses . . . I'd like to share some of the verses that were sung, but unfortunately I think they fall under the "What happens in Penticton, stays in Penticton" rule.
We also went floating down the river and I used a disposable waterproof camera to take pics . . . hopefully they turn out. Penticton is rad . . . a pool at the hotel, lake right across the street and a river right down the road . . . and we spent lots of time in all of them. The weekend started out pretty mellow . . . but Sunday night will go down in Jones family history . . . for all who were lucky enough to witness it . . . God Bless you.

We got back from Penticton Monday afternoon and I did laundry and then headed to Birch Bay Tuesday morning to go camping with the girls from Tom's family. Since the guys go hunting in October, it's a yearly tradition that the girls spend a week camping out at the bay. I slept in Tom's sisters motorhome on the pullout couch with Aubree (3 years old) who woke me up every morning singing Vacation Bible School songs in my ear. I love that kid. The weather wasn't so hot while we were there . . . but we still went down to the beach and the kids played in the water. We also visited the t-shirt shop, the outlet mall, played Rook and ate lots of smores. Tom's Mom and Grandma make fabulous breakfasts with Mickey Mouse pancakes, eggs and sausage . . . I love breakfast. The kids think that the best Birch Bay "rule" is that you only have to have you face washed once a day. I love thinking about Tom 20 years ago, being 6 . . . camping in the same spot we did this week with his Mom, sisters, Grandma, aunts and cousins . . . what an awesome tradition.

Kennedy, Maddie, Allie, Aubree and Katie in Angie's motorhomeAubree (my bunkmate) being a little rock star Trying on hats at the t-shirt shopEileen (Tom's Mom), Grandma Jessie and Aunt Karen
Aubree, Allie and Maddie snuggled up at the beachAll the kids on the bunk of the motorhomeRuss and Angie in front of THE BEAVER (their motorhome)Aubree and Teddy
Angie and Teddy at the beach
Soooo . . . after Party Night on Thursday night I moved from Birch Bay 1 to Birch Bay 2. The second phase of Birch Bay was heading down the way to my Aunt Sheila's house at the bay to stay with my Mom and Dad, Jen, Dean, Jake, my Grandma and Grandpa and Aunt and Uncle and their two kids, Josh and McKinna. We've done this for the last 4 years and always eat ourselves silly, relax on the deck and in the hot tub, take beach walks and just hang out. There was also a lot of talk about the big Hawaii trip at the end of February . . . I am so excited to be able to go on a trip with my Grandma and Grandpa.

I take this picture every time we are out at the bay . . . standing from the deck above looking down.
We were having a contest to see who could take the best sunset pictureTime for family pictures . . . my Grandma and GrandpaMom and DadMcKinna, JoAnne, Dennis and Josh
Jen, Jake and DeanTom and IMom and Grandma relaxingMcKinna and a jellyfishDad, Dennis and Josh floating
Walter (McKinna's English bulldog) and JakeTom and McKinnaJosh and his stellar fire . . . he kept it going for 3 days without relighting itTom throwing Jake in the air
Dennis and Josh . . . the "firefighters" :)Getting ready for movie night . . . it got too cold outsideTom, Jake and Walter on the beachDad, Grandpa and Dennis cooking oystersJake's tired . . . time to go home!So, after spending only 2 of the last 10 nights in my own bed and moving my stuff from place-to-place-to-place . . . it's good to be unpacked and at home . . . the next big adventure is Hawaii. The countdown is on.

No comments: